27 April 2011

W is for Winner of the 2011 Arthur C Clarke Award

Tonight the winner was announced for the 2011 Arthur C. Clarke Award… and it was awarded to Lauren Beukes for her cross-genre cyberpunk, urban-fantasy novel Zoo City.

The exciting thing for me is that Lauren comes from my home country of South Africa.  I love hearing about South Africans that excel on the global stage.  Well done Lauren!

And in related news, at last night’s BFSA Awards in Birmingham UK, Joey HiFi (also a South African) received an award for Best Artwork for his black and white illustration used as the cover art for the UK-print of Zoo City.

Congrats to both South Africans!  You guys make us proud.

3 comments:

  1. Yes, a good win.

    And importantly only the author's 2nd novel!

    News of win also over at
    SF2 Concatenation.

    .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wooooohooooooooo! Go South Africans! I really need to read Zoo City...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooooh, how exciting! I, too, love it when South Africans succeed. I shall have to read this book, stat.

    ReplyDelete