22 April 2011

P is for Poetry

If you’ve ever read the Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams you will know about the Vogons.

The Vogons are an alien race from the planet Vogsphere.  They are described as mindlessly bureaucratic, aggressive and having "as much sex appeal as a road accident".

They are also terrible writers of poetry.  The Hitchhiker’s Guide has this to say about Vogon poetry:

Vogon poetry is widely accepted as the third worst in the Universe. The second worst is that of the Azgoths of Kria. During a recitation by their Poet Master Grunthos the Flatulent, of his poem, Ode to a Small Lump of Green Putty I Found in My Armpit One Midsummer Morning, four of his audience died of internal haemorrhaging, and the president of the Mid-Galactic Arts Nobbling Council, survived by gnawing one of his own legs off... The absolute worst poetry was written by Paula Nancy Millstone Jennings of Sussex... luckily, it was destroyed when the Earth was.

And this is some actual Vogon poetry:

Oh freddled gruntbuggly/thy micturations are to me/As plurdled gabbleblotchits on a lurgid bee.

Groop I implore thee, my foonting turlingdromes. And hooptiously drangle me with crinkly bindlewurdles,

Or I will rend thee in the gobberwarts with my blurglecruncheon, see if I don't!

In the TV adaptation of the Hitchhikers Guide, an example poem by Paula Nancy Millstone Jennings of Sussex (the worst poet in the universe) was presented.  It was written by the real poet that inspired the character, a close friend of Douglas Adams.  For your reading please, here then is the worse poem in the universe:

The dead swans lay in the stagnant pool. They lay. They rotted. They turned Around occasionally. Bits of flesh dropped off them from Time to time. And sank into the pool's mire. They also smelt a great deal.

Poetry presents quite a different canvas for expressing yourself in a literary sense.  I don’t have the skills to deliver great poetry, but I still like to make use of this medium from time to time, especially when I come across an interesting angle.

One such poet I enjoy is e.e. cummings.  He sprinkles eccentric punctuation throughout his pieces and uses the physical canvas and white space of the page to great effect.

When I come across an original artist or a concept I like, I sometimes attempt a personal interpretation of that style.  Here is my homage to e.e. cummings, although I’m sure he’s groaning in his grave right now.  I’ve had to post it as a graphic due to it’s requirement for very specific layout.


The Smiths Go To War (1 of 2)

The Smiths Go To War (2 of 2)

No comments:

Post a Comment